A Component Presentation (CP) is a rendered chunk of a component(content). The rendering is done by a Component Template. A component Presentation is either used as part of a fully rendered Page(see page 2) or it is published to the broker DB (see below). Using different Component Templates you can create different Component presentations from the same Component.
A Component Template or CT is a small program which is used to render (parts of) components based on specified schema’s. In other words programs which create chunks of XHTML. In Tridion parlance these chunks are called Component Presentations.
It is possible to use different CT’s to render the same content. An example might be the rendering of a news article. You might want to present on your homepage a link to a new article. On a news overview page you might want to display the title with a short description of the news content. And there will be a place where the full article is displayed.
This can be achieved by defining three different CTs where each one renders the specific occurrence on the website.
Configuration options for a CT include:
- Linking priority. To get the component links pointing towards the full news article version set the linking priority of this CT to high (or the others to low).
- Template type: Vbscript, Jscript, XSLT, Compound template, .NET.
- Output format: XML, HTML, ASP, JSP etc.
- Publication model: Embedded on a page (static), Dynamic.
- Linked schemas. Components based on these schema will be rendered with the CT. •
A component is an instantiation of one of the Tridion (XML) schemas. It is a piece of XML which can be validated against the XML Schema that was created for the specified content type. It contains both content and metadata fields. Useful GUI functions include:
- Versioning makes it possible to revert to a previous version or to compare two different versions.
- ‘Where used’ which shows a list of other Tridion items using this component